Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Ruined Pie Crusts

Today marked one week since my elementary and junior high aged kids have been back in school. And it was the first day that Henry did not bawl when we dropped the kids off. Thank goodness. His sadness was hard to bear. He loves his siblings fiercely and was so heartbroken to see them off at school each morning. He was not as lonely throughout the day either. He seemed to adjust well to playing on his own or with me. He was much more content today. He did get over-the-moon excited when it was time to pick the kids up from school though. I love to see his adoration for his siblings. He loves being around people and especially other kids.

Talley had a hard day at school, I think. She says everything was fine, but she was crying when she got in the van after school and sobbed as I held her for awhile. Apparently Ezra pulled on her backpack because she wanted to see her teacher from last year and he wanted her to go outside to the pick-up line immediately. He can be careless and sometimes even rough, unintentionally, but I really think she had been overwhelmed at school or something to break down like that. After we were at home, she picked Henry up and dropped him. He was hurt and therefore crying. She is not allowed to pick Henry up because she is so tiny and he is so big. She doesn't have the strength it takes to handle him. It was proven when she dropped him on the wood floor. At first she didn't want to admit it and then when she finally did, she kind of fell apart again. I had her go lay on her bed. I felt like she just needed some time to calm down. I went in later, laid on her bed and cuddled with her and talked to her. She was definitely overstimulated and anxious, but didn't know how to put it into words. We talked about it and how she could turn the day around. She was much happier after that. Neither she nor Esther have started up their resource classes yet and I think that the regular classroom setting all day long is too much for Talley. I need to contact the resource teacher tomorrow and find out what is going on.

I shaved Ezra's hair off this afternoon. His hair was getting really long and he refused to pick it out and put hair cream in it every day, so off it went. He usually FREAKS OUT ( huge understatement) when I shave his head, but today he actually controlled himself. It was such a pleasant experience for once, I almost couldn't believe it was so easy. After I was finished, he said, "Wow. That was way easier and way quicker than usual." :-)

I tried to make three different pie crusts today and they all failed. Ugh! I am not sure why that happened, as I usually have no trouble with my pie crusts, but it was frustrating. I ended up making them into cinnamon sugar pie crusts and cut them up into strips for the kids to eat. Henry particularly loved them.

Ryland and Kenyon went rock climbing with their scout troops tonight and had a great time. I got a redbox movie for the little kids to watch after they were all ready for bed. They thought that was a fun surprise. Especially since it was a school night. They were in bed by 8:45 pm, so not too much later than usual. It was called The Pirates or something like that. It was a little too dumb for me and so I ended up doing laundry, watering the trees and getting Henry ready for bed instead of watching the movie. I'm glad the kids enjoyed it though.

Anyhow, it's late and I need to get to sleep. 5:40 am comes rather quickly. I'm looking forward to the weekend and being able to sleep in. ;-)

1 comment:

Michele said...

You are such a good mom. Being there to hug and listen on those bad days ~ for me sometimes those bad days really are good days when I realize I have people who listen & share cinnamon pie crusts.