Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Odds & Ends

Life has been busy lately. And I have been sick for the last four days (though doing soo much better today). My throat is still scratchy and sore. I am hoping it doesn't turn into something worse. On Sunday I was quite ill and didn't really get out of bed other than to move to the couch. This is what I put on facebook about that day:

I was so sick in bed all day yesterday (still not feeling good today). My kids stepped up their game to help me out. I love them all SO much. And I just have to brag for a minute on Ryland (14.5) who gave 3 of his brothers a haircut yesterday morning, made pot roast and gravy and peach cobbler (from scratch) while Kenyon (12.5) made homemade mashed potatoes for our dinner last night! There are two lucky women somewhere out there who will be very blessed to be their wives someday!

I'm still feeling proud about how great my kids are. Sometimes I get so frustrated as a mother and feel like parenting is too hard or I am not good enough, but then again I am constantly reminded that there is nothing I'd rather be in life than a mom. It is the most rewarding thing I could be doing with my time. And my kids are learning. And they are shining. No, they are not perfect, and neither am I, but we do the best we can. I need to keep this in mind for the harder days.

Anyhow, Henry is going through the yucky stage of fighting naps. And it tries my patience when he refuses to nap. It always seems like the day *I* need a nap, he doesn't want to take one. We are starting to wean him from his bottle. Don't laugh. I know. He is down to two bottles a day--one at naptime (depending on whether or not he naps) and one at bedtime. He has been eating food a lot better since we started this (duh). ;-) I feel like I am starting all over with Henry in the parenting department. He is so much younger than his siblings, I have kind of forgotten how to be a good mom. I baby him way too much. At least it doesn't seem to affect his development. His vocabulary is enormous and he can basically carry on a conversation with us. He says the funniest things. Lately he will sing "Happy Birthday" to himself and at the end he says, "Cha cha cha, oo la la, stick your hand in the toilet." We have no idea where he came up with that one, but once we laughed at it, he says it often. He is remembering songs and being able to sing them (not perfectly). He can count to 20 well, hardly ever missing more than a couple of numbers. He is learning his alphabet and a couple of colors. He has a fabulous memory and seems to understand complex (for his age) concepts. He's learning how to pray. Next week, he will turn two! I can hardly believe how fast time has flown by. What an amazing and blessed two years it has been with him in our lives.

Claire broke her finger last week. She was playing at the park by their school. She fell and hit her hand on a bar. We thought she had either sprained or jammed her finger, but when the swelling didn't go down much and she kept complaining, we took her to the Dr. (4 days later!) and found out she had broken her pinkie. She is wearing a splint now and will have to for another 3 weeks.

The weather is getting so nice finally. We have enjoyed working in our yard the last two Saturdays and plan to again this upcoming Saturday. We're trying to make our front yard more presentable. It's coming together nicely. If only we had money to do all we wanted on it. For now, we do what we can.

This month we will finalize Matthias' adoption. And we hope to get a family photo done soon thereafter.

Everyone is getting SO anxious for school to be over. Summer vacation can't come soon enough. ;-)

No comments: