Friday, May 25, 2012

You're Timeless to Me

I had a somewhat traumatic afternoon. It started out with me giving Ezra a hair cut. In the past, hair cutting has been a serious issue for Ezra. He hates getting his hair cut. I used to let his hair grow and grow, simply to avoid the hair cutting drama. Recently he has been doing much better and handling it well. (Ezra has mild Asperger's and some sensory issues.) Today was different. In fact, I think today was the worst it has ever, ever been. He was actually freaking out and throwing himself around the room screaming at me that I was done and he would not allow me to cut anymore of his hair (I tried reasoning with him about the wedding tomorrow and how ridiculous he would look with a partially shaved head--he didn't care, he told me). I don't want to go into too much detail, as this is a public blog and I want to respect Ezra's feelings and privacy. I will just say that it was pretty wild and very upsetting for both Ezra and me. I am a determined woman though and I was finally able to finish his hair. But it was not a good experience.

As soon as I finished, Ryland came in the house and said, "There is a HUGE mouse in one of our window wells." I went to check and sure enough there was. It was huge. It was so cute. The kids were begging to keep it as a pet. Claire said, "Let's adopt him and we'll name him 'Stuart Little'!" (Thanks Stuart Little for making the world weird for my adopted kids!) I knew we had to kill it. I think it was a pregnant mouse. It was so fat and round. The thought of it or any of its babies getting into our house made me shudder big time. So, I grabbed a huge rock and dropped it on the mouse. And I just caught part of it. It kept moving, albeit slowly. Oh! What torture. I almost vomited. I grabbed another big rock and dropped it on the mouse. Ugh! It was mostly dead. I had to drop a rock one more time. It took a lot of courage to do it and I almost started to cry. It was horrible. Absolutely awful. :-(

Talley is actually the one who found the mouse and she went and told Ryland, "Ry, there is an animal in our window!!!!"

After that was taken care of, I had to shave Tim's head. I use a guard when I do his hair so that he still has a little bit left and is not bald. As I was shaving his hair, he flinched and said, "Ow!" I pulled the shaver away and noticed that at some point the guard had fallen off (probably when I tapped it in the trash to get a wad of hair of the shaver). Unfortunately, he now has a little patch on the side that is bald. And his sister's wedding is tomorrow. And there will be photos. I felt horrible about it. The only things I could think of to say to console him (since he didn't want me to shave his whole head bald) were, "Well, at least you have blond hair. It would be so much more obvious if you had brown or black hair," and "You still look handsome to me." Which only made him think of the part in the movie "Hairspray" where the parents are singing, "You're Timeless to Me" to each other. Tim said, "So I look like Tracy Turnblad's parents?" Ugh!

What a day. But nothing a fudgesicle can't repair. ;-)

I better get back to the tissue paper balls I am making for the reception and then I will get to work on the treats I am in charge of for tomorrow.

No comments: