Thursday, May 24, 2012

I Look Great In a Cape

My junior high and elementary kids did not have school today, nor do they tomorrow. This morning I dropped Ryland, Kenyon and Claire off at Tim's dad's house. They were working in the yard with Tim's grandma. Tim's little sister Kate is getting married on Saturday and the reception is in his dad's backyard. I was just going to drop Ryland and Kenyon off to help with the yard work, but Claire kept begging me by saying, "Please let me go too. I really want to serve Grandma Bev and help her in her yard. Remember when I helped Uncle James and Aunt Abby move? I love serving others." I think someone has been paying attention at church! ;-)

While they were working on the yard, I took Henry, Ezra, Esther & Talley with me to my hair appointment. I got my hair cut short this time. I like it. Ezra said something funny while we were there. As soon as my hair stylist put the black cape over me (to protect me from getting hair all over my clothes), Ezra said, "Wow Mommy! You look really, really good in that!" ;-) Yes, I look great with a black tent around my body. ;-) Later on he kept telling me how beautiful I looked with my new hair cut. Sweet boy. (I also had to tell him many times during my appointment to stop touching things, to leave Henry alone, and to stop tapping his feet/shoes on the floor. Poor guy couldn't stand the sitting and waiting.)

Anyhow, after Henry's nap, Tim and I took the kids that were at home to grab some McDonald's to take over to the yard working kiddos. We stayed at Tim's dad and grandma's house for a little while. I helped do a couple of things in the backyard. Tim took Ryland to his Basketball Camp while I did that. Today was Ryland's last day and they were having competitions. I guess Ryland won 2nd place out of all the 8th & 9th graders for one competition. He was so excited. Ryland has big dreams of becoming a professional basketball player some day. I tease him all of the time that he is way too short to make it. In the last year he has grown a ton and his basketball skills are always improving. I guess it's OK for a boy to dream, right? ;-)

I was able to get a 3 mile run in today. I ran 2 miles yesterday. I am trying to get back on track. I will be starting my training for a half marathon next week. My friend and I are planning to do a half marathon together this fall. It will make #8 for me. I have really slacked off in my running since Henry was born. And the result is that I have gained about 15 pounds. Seriously. Yikes! So, it's time to get myself back in the game. I love how running makes me feel. I am not a fast runner, but I still get the same benefits of stress relief, a stronger body, time to think life's problems through and just the simple satisfaction when I am finished of knowing that I pushed myself. I love that sore muscle feeling and I love how running gives me a healthier appetite (I never want to eat as much junk food as I do when I am not running) and better sleep. I think I got a little burnt out in the last year with trying to keep up my old training and racing schedule on top of having a new baby and no sleep. I just stopped caring about running at all. It felt too hard. Now I am starting to feel that familiar excitement again. I truly love running. Maybe not so much when I am actually running ... ;-)! Just kidding. Tim kept trying to get me to switch to a new sport/hobby and I couldn't do it. Running is my thing.

Anyway, tonight we went to Tim's sister's rehearsal dinner at Old Spaghetti Factory. It was fun to visit with loved ones and meet all of Kate's fiance's family too. Kate is marrying into a good family and I am so happy for her. I'm looking forward to this weekend for the wedding and being able to see extended family members we haven't seen in awhile. It'll be great! ;-)

Lots to do tomorrow, so I better get to bed!

No comments: