Sunday, December 9, 2007

Odds & Ends

Today I have been vegetarian for 5 weeks! I kind of can't believe it. I don't usually stick with things very well. Especially if they involve food. ;-) I love being a vegetarian. It is so easy for me. Beth told me about a week or so ago that she does not want to be vegetarian for sure. I was so proud that she decided for herself. Sahara continues to be veggie with me (this is week 4 for her). It is fun to have someone to do it with. I think that helps me look for well-balanced meals, too. I want her to be healthy. I finally ordered some vegetarian cookbooks last night. I'm getting a little bored with some of the things I have been cooking. I want to try new things.

Here are two things that taste yummy:

Pita & Hummus

Fry a piece of pita bread in a little olive oil and garlic salt. Spread hummus liberally. Yummy!

Curry & Rice

Make your favorite rice (ours is Jasmine). In a another pan cook two garden burgers (I like them better than Boca) in a little olive oil. Add about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon yellow curry and a mini pinch of salt. Once cooked (mash the garden burgers so it looks like ground beef), pour in about a 1/4 cup of coconut milk. Serve over a small amount of rice. Yummy!

We eat a lot of veggies and fruit in a variety of ways, veggie/fruit smoothies, beans (homemade bean burritos are SO good), yogurt, nuts, exotic cheeses on good bread (for example--stilton with apricots on roasted garlic bread), garden burgers, soups, homemade granola, pasta, and salads. Recently we have been eating zucchini bread that I made with whole wheat flour. There are so many things we can eat, that we do not miss having meat. Though I do look forward to having cookbooks with many recipes to try and experiment with. ;-)

So what have we been up to lately?

Claire had her friend birthday party. That was chaotic for me, but she had a lot of fun. Luckily my good friend, Clisty stayed to help.

Claire went to her little friend's birthday party (they are a week apart). I ended up staying and Claire practically hung from me the entire time.

I have a new calling at church. I work on the Enrichment committee, which means I help plan fun activities for the women to do in our ward a few times each year. I'm relieved to have a break from teaching little children, since that is what I do all day, every day. ;-)

The kids and I have been going to the gym as often as we can. Ezra is really becoming a little swimmer. Sort of. He doesn't get very far, but he goes under the water and flails around. ;-) He goes down the slide by himself and jumps into the pool. This is all a very big deal, because Ezra has water issues. I am glad he is so comfortable swimming. Maybe he will actually leave the boat and get into the water next year?

Beth has been reading voraciously lately. I love that she is so into reading now. She and Sahara have been reading The Chronicles of Narnia in anticipation of Prince Caspian coming to theaters in May.

Ryland is currently reading The Hobbit and Kenyon has been reading books from the two series, The Magic Treehouse and The Secrets of Droon.

The kids and I have been doing a lot of painting lately (water color and acrylic). We all enjoy it.

I've been doing a lot of baking and cooking. The winter months always inspire me to be in the kitchen. I am reading the last Chronicles of Narnia book and a biography on Nellie Bly (very interesting).

I spent about 5 hours braiding Beth's hair on Friday. I did as tiny of braids as I could, and added beads on the ends. My fingers were burning by the end. Beth braided Claire's hair for me yesterday morning, since my hands were still a little sore. What a sweetheart.

Claire can write her own name (has been able to for a couple of months now) and Ezra knows how to spell his. He cannot write letters yet. Claire's are big and crooked, but she is learning. :-) Sometimes my heart just feels like it will burst; I feel so proud and in love with my wonderful children.

1 comment:

KristiBT said...

Yippee! I'm going to love reading your blog! We'll need to talk more about your vegetarianism - not sure if that is a real word....thanks for the yummy Christmas treats!