So, we're taking two of my parents' kittens. They will be outdoor cats (since I am allergic). The black one is a girl and Claire named her Jellico (from the play 'Cats', which she loves) and the black and white one is a boy that Kenyon named Oklahoma.
Please don't adopt them. Outside cats do not survive very long. Fleas, catfights, coyotes, various diseases expecially FELV (we're really trying to control the spread of FELV...it's really bad and it's really very sad and painful to see a kitty suffering from it), harsh weather, hungry winter predators, etc. Plus, if you're allergic to cats, there's also the risk of transfer of allergens from your kids to you if they're playing/touching the cats. I know your kids love animals, but obviously, you, the primary caregiver, don't have the heart to have pets at this time. Only you can make the decision, regardless of your kids' wishes. That would be the most responsible all around.
Thanks for your concern Patty. All of my parents' cats are outdoor cats (as were all of our cats when I was growing up), so they are used to it. We understand the concern with outdoor cats and will do everything we can to ensure they are happy, healthy and safe. :-)
Hey, I'm allergic too. I once read Marjorie Hinckley say if there is a way to say yes then do. I have tried to adopt that philosophy too. The reason we have a dog. :) Your kids will love it and you won't regret the joy a pet can bring your children.
3 comments:
Please don't adopt them. Outside cats do not survive very long. Fleas, catfights, coyotes, various diseases expecially FELV (we're really trying to control the spread of FELV...it's really bad and it's really very sad and painful to see a kitty suffering from it), harsh weather, hungry winter predators, etc. Plus, if you're allergic to cats, there's also the risk of transfer of allergens from your kids to you if they're playing/touching the cats. I know your kids love animals, but obviously, you, the primary caregiver, don't have the heart to have pets at this time. Only you can make the decision, regardless of your kids' wishes. That would be the most responsible all around.
Thanks for your concern Patty. All of my parents' cats are outdoor cats (as were all of our cats when I was growing up), so they are used to it. We understand the concern with outdoor cats and will do everything we can to ensure they are happy, healthy and safe. :-)
Hey, I'm allergic too. I once read Marjorie Hinckley say if there is a way to say yes then do. I have tried to adopt that philosophy too. The reason we have a dog. :) Your kids will love it and you won't regret the joy a pet can bring your children.
Post a Comment