Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Syrup

I made the most delicious buttermilk syrup this morning for our pancakes. It is heavenly.

As we were eating our breakfast, Ryland said, "Mommy, 'syrup' is like a Spanish word; or maybe an Arabian word. It definitely sounds like it's Spanish or Arabian." Where does he come up with this stuff?!

Buttermilk Syrup

1 1/2 cups sugar (I used 1 cup granulated and 1/2 cup brown sugar)
3/4 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup butter (it must be real butter)
2 tablespoons corn syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons vanilla *

Combine first 5 ingredients in a sauce pan. Heat over low until boiling. Boil for 7 minutes. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Store in fridge.

* I am hesitant to use very much vanilla in my cooking, as it often seems to overpower the flavor. I always cut vanilla in half. Even with doing that, it made the syrup taste super vanilla-y. In the future, I will completely eliminate the vanilla (I tasted it before I added the vanilla and felt it tasted much better without--you get more of a buttery taste without it). If you like vanilla a lot, then ignore this advice. ;-)

No comments: